Fiona McMahon PT, DPT
September is Prostate Cancer Awareness Month. Here at Beyond Basics Physical Therapy, we treat many men both before and after treatment for prostate cancer. We focus on restoring the health of the pelvic floor and tissue surrounding the prostate to restore normal sexual and urinary function. For more information about how physical therapy can help you or someone you love who is going through prostate cancer, read our blog on prostate cancer: https://beyondbasicsptblog.com/2015/04/07/physical-therapy-and-the-prostate/
Beyond Basics itself has an outstanding program in pre and post operative prostate care:
Beyond Basics Physical Therapy
Pre-op/Post op Prostatectomy Program
110 E 42nd Street, Suite #1504, NY, NY 10017
Beyond Basics Physical Therapy offers a unique and comprehensive rehabilitation program focused on the healthcare needs of people who have
- Incontinence or sexual dysfunction due to prostate surgery
- Pain and/or bladder retention, frequency or urgency due to prostate treatment (with or without surgery)
Our physical therapists that work with these clients have extensive training and knowledge in pelvic related issues.
Pre-operative: patient will be seen by a therapist to not only evaluate their prior function, but also give them exercises to do before and after surgery. The evaluation will include:
- Muscle strength testing including pelvic floor and lower extremities
- Biofeedback evaluation using either internal rectal sensors or external anal sensors
- Education on what to expect and things to do to optimize surgical outcomes
- Overall posture evaluation
Post-operatively: patient will be seen 2-6 weeks after surgery. Treatment will include the following
- Muscle re-education utilizing biofeedback
- Bladder re-education/timed voiding
- Postural education
- Overall core stabilization when appropriate
- Behavioral Modifications
We treat our patients for 60-75 minute sessions in private rooms and use state of the art biofeedback technology. If you have specific questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
As always, our programs are tailored to your specific needs.